Apple Cider Vinegar for Horses – Top 10 Uses

apple cider vinegar (ACV) for horses | diy horse care tips | natural horse care

Once you discover all the benefits of apple cider vinegar (ACV) for horses, it’s is really a no-brainer.

Not only is it natural and affordable, but it’s also a safe and fool-proof way to get into DIY horse care.

If you’re sick of spending all your hard earned money on expensive products that may have unnecessary (or questionable) ingredients, then ACV is a great place to start.

Here’s a list of my favorite equine uses (in no particular order):

1. Natural insect control. When horses ingest ACV daily in their feed it causes higher levels of thiamine (vitamin B1) to be excreted through their skin, Optimum levels of B vitamins discourage all types of insects including flies and mosquitoes (see tips for feeding below).

ACV also makes an effective and inexpensive fly spray. Try my Easy Homemade Fly Spray recipe.

2. Improves digestion. ACV works to acidify the stomach for better digestion and absorption of minerals. This can help protect your horse against bacteria, parasites and water-borne diseases.

Research has also shown that it can slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, which is helpful for those founder-prone ponies/horses that are sensitive to sugar.

5. Helps prevent intestinal stones (enteroliths). An alkaline environment in the horse’s digestive tract can cause intentional stones to grow to the point of causing dangerous obstructions. The acidifying effect of ACV helps dissolve enteroliths, or ideally prevent them.

This is particularly useful in areas with hard water, or for horses that consume a lot of alfalfa hay.

4. Mane & tail conditioner. Add 1 cup of ACV to a bucket of water for the final rinse of your horse’s tail. For the mane I like to use a spray bottle, This will leave it feelingly incredibly smooth and removes any extra soap residue.

More From Savvy Horsewoman:  Preparing for Your First Horse Show

Bonus: It also works as a natural detangler!

5. Disguise water while traveling. If your horse is accustomed to the taste of ACV, bring some along on your next road trip and they’ll happily drink unfamiliar water. It usually only takes a few tablespoons.

This can be incredibly helpful if you’re worried about dehydration (especially when your vet’s in another state).

Caution: Only use ACV in plastic buckets as it can leach minerals from metal or galvanized tanks.

6. Wound treatment. Spraying fungus, burns, skin infections  and other wounds with diluted ACV is a great way to speed healing time by helping to help keep bacteria and insects away.

7. Ease arthritis symptoms. Both horses and humans alike have benefited from ACV to help control arthritis pain and stiffness.

When fed daily ACV, works to remove toxins, restore pH balance and increase crucial minerals, all of which improves joint health.

8. Treat hoof problems. I’ve seen great results using ACV to care for minor hoof ailments including bruises, abscesses and thrush.

Use about 1/4 cup of ACV in 1 gallon of water to soak a hoof or (if your horse isn’t the type to stand still) just use it undiluted in a spray bottle.

9. Weed killer. If you don’t like the idea of spraying harmful chemicals all over your fields (I know I don’t) then ACV is a great alternative.

For best results, spray weeds early in the growing season and as often as possible.

10. Clean blankets & pads. Add some ACV to the rinse water for your saddle pads, blankets and polo wraps. It will help remove soap residue which is a nice benefit for thin-skinned horses that are prone to irritation.

More From Savvy Horsewoman:  Becoming a Stable Mom - Riding Post-Pregnancy

Bonus: It’s great for removing odors too!

How to Feed ACV: For maximum benefits, I’d recommend feeding approximately 1 cup of ACV daily.

It should be diluted 50/50 with water and added your horse’s usual feed.

An added bonus is that it will help keep flies away if your horse is a slow eater.

As with any adjustments to your feeding program, always make gradual changes and introduce it slowly, ideally over a two week period.

apple cider vinegar (ACV) for horses | diy horse care tips | natural horse care

Important: The secret to success is using high quality Apple Cider Vinegar.

Natural, unpasteurized ACV is made by crushing organic apples and maturing them in wooden barrels.

This results in a brownish liquid that contains a cloudy web-like form called “the mother”. The mother has enzymes and minerals that you won’t find in the filtered and pasteurized versions from most grocery stores.

As you know, I’m all about getting the best quality at a good price and there’s two brands of ACV I’ve been using exclusively for the past few years:

Healthy Traditions Apple Cider Vinegar, which is also a great source for other high quality organic food, and where I purchase all my coconut oil in bulk (see Feeding Coconut Oil to Horses…Without Going Broke!)

and

Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (1 gallon) which can be ordered through Amazon.

Bonus: If you order from Healthy Traditions by clicking on any of the links on my site, and are a new customer, you will receive a FREE copy of The Virgin Coconut Oil Book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Thank you for using these links and supporting the Savvy Horsewoman website!

More From Savvy Horsewoman:  Guide For Horsebox And Trailer Owners

Have you tried using Apple Cider Vinegar for horses?

apple cider vinegar (ACV) for horses | diy horse care tips | natural horse care

26 Comments

1. Cowgirl of 11
    March 9, 2015 / 12:35 am

Love the weed killer idea we should do that!:)Laura

• Sandy Eis, Hypnotherapist, CCHT
      June 24, 2016 / 5:04 pm

I have tried this with no results…weeds never died. Very expensive & doesn't work.

• A. Bouck
        June 15, 2018 / 4:55 am

My mother-in-law accidentally watered her house plants with vinegar and they all died!

• Pamela Caballero
      July 21, 2016 / 4:43 am

If you order the 20% agricultural vinager.it will work. The regular strength just isn't strong enough. Add Dawn and it will stick to the weeds better.

• samadhi
      August 12, 2016 / 1:07 am

The reason that vinegar didn't work is because you need to use horticultural strength vinegar. The acetic acid level is 5% in household vinegar. The level in horticultural vinegar is 20%, is quite caustic, and yes it can burn you at acidity levels of 11%.. It is meant to be diluted and you should use eye protection and rubber gloves when spraying it. I've tried regular vinegar for weeds too and it didn't work. Finally I consulted with an extension agent and was told about the difference in the acidity level between the two versions of vinegar. DO NOT INGEST horticultural vinegar. It's going to kill everything you spray it on too- meaning weeds, grass, flowers, etc. Good luck!

2. Anonymous
    April 14, 2015 / 4:49 pm

My horse HATES ACV and will not eat it no matter what I do. Frankly I don't blame him. Since the listed benefits are not clinically proven but anecdotal, I will not force him to ingest this vile stuff, no matter what people say about it supposed benefits. He will NOT take it, regardless of what I've tried.

• Savvy Horsewoman
      April 18, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Certainly if your horse hates it, don't feed it! Maybe try one of the external uses instead? Also, if you're using the low quality ACV from the grocery store I agree it can smell awful. Personally I find the organic raw brands are much more pleasant and earthy smelling, but still quite strong (it is vinegar after all!).

• Andrew Crow
      July 22, 2016 / 4:56 am

Pour about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of ACV into a 100 gallon trough. It'll be diluted enough to reduce taste, but strong enough for the effect. Helps reduce algae growth as well.

• Savvy Horsewoman
      September 29, 2015 / 8:03 pm

Glad to hear it's working well for you too!

3. sharne feher
    February 9, 2016 / 8:47 am

How much should I put in feed

4. Anonymous
    April 2, 2016 / 12:36 am

Can I add it to my water troughs and if so, how much do I use?

5. covenantsaint@s8w
    April 6, 2016 / 1:01 am

The thing I have discovered in my ingesting of knowledge concrening horses is this: whether it be from training to boarding to nutrition, there are various schhols of thought. What works for some may not work for another. Personally, because of the benefits of ACV for us, I think its wirthy of a try for a four legged friends. There are not many things that are an exact science but what we can do is try and see how it goes. I will be trying some with my mare tomorrow simply because I know she is at risk for founder. So perhaps it will turn out to be liquid gold or maybe not. I will definitely update with the progress or even if not. Thank you for such an informative page.

6. Jacquelin Davidson
    April 15, 2016 / 1:53 am

Totally agree that ACV is not very pleasant smelling, but the benefits totally out way what I think of the smell! That said, I just attempted the hyperlink for Tropical Traditions and ACV is no longer available. I am looking on Amazon and other places to see if I can find some other resources. Braggs is PRICEY, but it is the brand my equine chiropractor recommended. To sum up, I think it is wonderful that there are informed horse owners willing to share their experiences and tested theories. So, thank you Savvy Horsewoman!!

• diane
      November 10, 2017 / 2:27 am

trader joe's sells organic acv for only $2.49 for a pint. Well worth it, good for horses stomach, etc. Good for our indigestion also. I've used it for years.

• diane
      November 10, 2017 / 2:31 am

I've used Trader Joe's organic Apple Cider Vinegar $2.49 for years. Works for our digestive system upsets, also the same for horses, I just put a few teaspoons in their grain, or in a bucket/with water. Google, uses for apple cider vinegar. Anything with vinegar (pickle juice) is very good for humans. or read up at DrAxe.com , he's all into helping humans stay healthy.

• Savvy Horsewoman
      November 16, 2017 / 3:23 am

Thanks for letting me know about the link 🙂 Tropical Traditions is now known as Healthy Traditions and they have their own brand of ACV so I've updated the links.

7. Katharina Faber
    April 20, 2016 / 2:14 pm

I have found two benefits kind of accidentally with my mare, no more bladder infections, and no more disgusting hind end when in heat.

8. Unknown
    May 6, 2016 / 6:05 pm

It always says to dilute ACV with water when adding to feed. Is this necessary? I board my donkeys and have to pre-measure their feed into baggies for the boarding facility to feed. Adding water creates mold. Can I just add straight ACV, or is that too strong for them to eat? Will it hurt them in any way? Thanks.

9. Libraryann
    June 24, 2016 / 11:54 pm

I always give my horses, dogs, kids, grandkids ACV…….we use it for everything. We all take it daily and would not be without it. I put it in the dog water and the horse water and in the horse feed daily.

10. Anonymous
    June 25, 2016 / 1:36 am

I always used straight on grain/balancer adding oil also.. kinda like oil&vinigar dressing.

11. Anonymous
    July 9, 2016 / 4:24 pm

I have used this for years and it works great. it is hard to kill weeds with it but as you said for new growth it works. it does stink but not as bad as some of the medicines on the market. so for those of you who have not tried it on your pets you should natural and organic is always a plus for the ones you love.heke even I use it for poison oak, athletes feet, my hair gee's I can go on and on I love "organic with the Mother apple cider vinegar" it is one of the best things I have in my refrigerator!

12. Anonymous
    January 4, 2017 / 10:29 pm

Good EveninhI would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with horse lice,I have a seveer case of them.Have tryed every thing that people have sugsted but have nor been able to get rid of them.would like to hear from anyone who has dealt with them.

• Frauke Hulburt
      August 30, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I am sorry to hear that. I did not deal with lice but similar critters unwelcomed in the barn. I tried several things to get rid the intruders: A. empty everthing out of the stall, shavings feeder stallmats etc etc. Spray with “critter killer”. I used Permethrin II. I got it as a premises spray concentrate and as a poor-on oil. After that was done, I took each one of my horses and washed them with lice shampoo. Let them dry and apply a thin coat of Coconut-oil infused with Neem oil over every inch of they body. Notice that the Neem oil is not smelling very good but it helps and is not poisonous for horses. Nice side-effect is that it soothes the irritated skin and promotes healing. When that is done move the horse to a the stall or a different pasture. Leave the pasture that is invested empty for 10 days minimum. That’s how long it takes for the lice to die out there – I hope of starvation- . I also applied the poor on Permethrin to my horses. The leftover Permethrin II for premises can be diluted and used as flyspray after you got rid of the pest. Hope it helps.

13. Anonymous
    January 4, 2018 / 8:42 am

Can we humans use this for diabetes and other benefits ?

14. Valerie
    August 23, 2018 / 11:25 am

I started giving my horse ACV at the beginning of the summer because of the health benefits and the fly control. Last year, I had a hard time controlling the flies, there were too many and my horse was miserable. We had hardly any flies and I barely used any fly spray this summer . I would highly recommend using ACV. I only give him 1/4 cup a day in his feed.