BEST Homemade Horse Treat Recipe {Printable}

Making homemade horse treats is an activity that both me and my kids enjoy, and we’re often trying new horse treat recipes.

Not only is it a fun way to spend the afternoon, it’s also a great chance to experiment with our own ingredient combinations.

My horses are far from picky, so whether it’s a win or a fail they always seem pleased, and luckily don’t mind eating slightly crispy (burnt) or soft (gooey) horse treats.

Homemade Horse Treats {Printable Recipe} - Easy DIY Horse Treats by Savvy Horsewoman

After going through dozens of recipes we’ve come up with a list of ingredients that you can practically combine in any amount to create something your horse will find eatable.

And just because they’re treats, doesn’t have to mean they’re unhealthy!

I like to pack mine full of ingredients that have added benefits to promote a shiny coat, a healthy gut and digestible energy. Here are a few suggestions (and links to the benefits!).

Healthy Horse Treat Recipe Ingredients

💲 Tip: In the Savvy Guide to DIY Horse Care I share my favorite, easy, no-bake recipe that includes all of these healthy ingredients (plus lots more DIY). Check it out here!

Or you’re feeling adventurous and have knack for baking, give your own DIY Horse Treats a try:

Homemade Horse Treats Recipe

Homemade Horse Treats Recipe

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Mix your chosen ingredients together
  2. Ideally the mix should be wet enough to form into balls, but not soupy (adjust accordingly)
  3. Bake at around 350 until they're slightly browned
  4. Store in an airtight container

Notes

Just to be safe, here are some ingredients I would NOT use as they could be toxic in large amounts:

• Chocolate
  • Milk
  • Maple Syrup
  • Cherries
  • Rhubarb
  • Peaches

If you’d prefer tried-and-true treat recipes, here’s a list of more recommended favorites:

Easy Recipes

These homemade horse treats are quick and easy to make!

Peppermint Recipes

If your horse loves peppermint, give these treats a try.

Crunchy Recipes

Does your horse want a crunchy snack?

Gourmet Recipes

The perfect horse treats for special occasions!

No-Bake Recipes

These no-bake treats make a "cool" snack in the summer.

More Fun Recipes

Check out these unique horse goodies!

Tips for Feeding Treats to Horses

While I occasionally feed treats by hand just for fun, or while clicker training, it’s not something I do on a regular basis.

More From Savvy Horsewoman:  Watery Eyes in Horses: Causes and Treatment

Horses can become too “mouthy” if they begin to expect hand-fed treats, which can eventually lead to biting and other bad habits.

Instead, I toss a few treats into their bucket as a reward, or just mix them into their usual feed.

Alternatively, you can choose to only hand-feed treats at a particular time, such as when you’re catching them in the field, or putting them away at night.

This can be a great way to get extra calories into your picky eaters!

What’s your favorite homemade horse treat recipe? Share it in the comments!

Pin this post here ❤

Happy Baking,

13 Comments

1. Anonymous
    August 25, 2015 / 4:21 pm

hi !! total cool recipes !!! but is there a good recipe for a fill that has never had a treat like these in her life ????

• Savvy Horsewoman
      September 29, 2015 / 8:06 pm

You could start with something simple like apple slices or carrots, or just a handful of oats!

2. Shannon
    October 22, 2015 / 12:28 pm

These treats look great! Any horse would be lucky to have some especially after training!

3. Anonymous
    April 2, 2016 / 9:30 pm

what are some good treats for an old mare?

4. barb
    April 30, 2017 / 3:04 pm

Have you ever used cornmeal instead of wheat flour?

5. barb
    April 30, 2017 / 3:06 pm

I have never made my own horse treats before. Your recipes look very good. Have you ever tried using cornmeal instead of whole wheat flour?

6. Victoria
    June 13, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I'm grinding hay and adding it as an ingredient. My old mare has to eat a senior feed cause she quids hay. I'm in the experimental stage. There have been times when all she ate was apples and carrots so that is what she gets four times a day. I'm sneaking hay in any way I can. Winter was horrible and thank goodness it was mild. Now she is putting on weight and is much happier.

7. Victoria
    June 13, 2017 / 11:36 pm

8. Anonymous
    December 9, 2017 / 8:59 pm

i do not have a horse but im planing to get one so im trying to suck up some info

• Anonymous
      January 23, 2018 / 5:21 pm

same!

9. Rose
    July 5, 2020 / 10:03 am

Just wondering how long these stay good before they expire? I am planning to take them camping in 2 weeks, will they still be good?

• savvyhorsewoman
      Author
      July 5, 2020 / 4:08 pm

I think 2 weeks would be fine! Just try to store them out of direct sunlight. Have fun camping 🙂

10. rochedmatondo
    August 15, 2023 / 9:56 pm

What a fantastic homemade horse treat recipe! It’s always wonderful to have the option of creating tasty and healthy treats for our equine partners, knowing exactly what goes into them.

The combination of ingredients you’ve shared sounds delicious and nutritious, providing our horses with a delightful reward. It’s also great to see that these treats can be customized based on our horses’ preferences and dietary needs.

As responsible horse owners, it’s crucial to be mindful of the ingredients we use in treats and ensure they align with our horses’ overall health and well-being. Homemade treats can be a fantastic way to bond with our horses and provide them with something special.

For those interested in further enhancing their horse’s well-being, exploring the use of horse calming supplements alongside these delightful homemade treats might offer additional support in promoting a calm and content equine partner.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe and encouraging horse owners to create homemade treats for their beloved companions!