Some may say there is an unspoken rule among horsewomen to collect the most tack possible. I will neither confirm nor deny this, but I do have to admit that my barn is overflowing with every imaginable piece of equipment. Do I really need 15 bits for a horse that always goes in a plain snaffle? Maybe not. But at least if I can organize it so they don’t look like a giant web of metal I can get away with it. For now.
Here are my favorite DIY tips to help you show off organize your collection:
1. Easy Saddle Rack – This is a quick project that uses scrap lumber and can be put together for about $5. Complete directions can be found here. I put eye hooks all over the tack room so they can be easily moved around and can accommodate different saddle sizes.
2. Bins for Blankets – If you live in an area that requires year round blanketing (snow/rain/flies) then this is a huge space saver. Once blankets are clean and dry, just store them in large containers. Don’t forget to label them with the horse’s name and type of blanket (or the size) to make finding them a piece of cake. No more piles of blankets! (the barn cats will have to find a new place to sleep…)
3. Re-purposed File Cabinet – Why didn’t I think of this? Used cabinets are easy to find at garage sales and thrift stores for very little money (or find a business doing a renovation). The full tutorial can be found here. I love that it can hold so many shovels, rakes and forks.
4. Bucket Hose Holder – The perfect way to organize an unruly hose. Mounted in a wash stall it creates a perfect nook for nozzles, brushed and soap. I have a bunch of these 10-Quart Galvanized Steel Pails (can you ever have too many?)
5. Garbage Bins – These are a great multi-purpose organizer for anything from wraps to whips. I use mine to store shipping gear (boots, poll protectors, break-away halters etc.) so I’m not scrambling at the last minute to find everything (while a trailer full of horses is waiting). These bins dropped into a wood frame are perfect for grain storage.
Continued on 10 DIY Tips – Organizing the Barn (Part 2)